Sunday, September 18, 2011

Grandma Tootie's Famous Waffles

My grandma Tootie was an amazing cook. She grew up on a farm so she cherished fresh food & cooked according to the seasons. She passed away a few weeks ago on her birthday. She celebrated her 88th birthday with Jesus, her mom & dad, sister & brother. I'm sure she made them waffles the next morning =)

During her final month, we had many fun conversations and sweet reminiscing. I asked her what was her favorite thing that her mom made. She said "Cakes! She made the best cakes." And my grandma made THE best waffles ever.

Here is her recipe. Passed down from our Swedish ancestors, generation to generation. And yes! I'm sharing it. I don't hide recipes, I share them! You know that. =)

I will tell you one of her baking secrets too. Always use fresh baking powder!

3 egg yolks
3 egg whites
2 cups buttermilk
1/3 C cup oil
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1 Tbs sugar

Mix all ingredients. Beat egg whites (separate) and fold in (absolutely critical step for a light fluffy waffle).

Enjoy! She liked them with ligonberries or strawberries. How do you enjoy your waffles? Breakfast or dessert or both?

0 comments: