Monday, January 9, 2012

Dr. Oz & Frozen Vegetables?!


I watched a great episode on Dr. Oz last night (my latest insomnia addiction, episode after episode). Beyond this grocery list (which made me feel like a great mom & healthy individual since I purchase 99% of these), he also recommended buying frozen vegetables to save money.

Here is my take on his rationale. Most families will purchase large quantities of vegetables at the beginning of the week with the hope to eat them all in a few days (or at least by the end of the week). Unfortunately they end up only consuming 1/2 or less (wasting food & money) and not eating it in time to savor the freshness & nutrients. While fresh is always best, if they're not consumed within a few days most of the nutrients are lost. Remember most of our food has already been in transit for over a week! (yuck!) Local produce is supreme for this reason. So what's the alternative if you can't buy local? or don't have fresh on hand? Buy frozen so you can always incorporate a vegetable in your meal. Frozen vegetables are packed with nutrients and its easier to incorporate them with the correct portion size vs. overeating because "they're about to go bad."

I'm going to try a variety of frozen vegetables in 2012 and just maybe my son will eat more than his select favorites.

0 comments: