Saturday, February 14, 2009

Santa Rosa Valley Salad by J. McGuckin

I had this salad @ Janelle's tea yesterday and it was amazing. Light, but full of flavor. Can't wait to bring it to my sister's going away party and other spring/summer events. Yum!

Serves 6-8

Dressing Ingredients
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Dijon mustard
1/2 t salt
1/4 t sugar
1/4 t pepper
1/3 c seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/3 c vegetable oil
Combine dressing ingredients.

Salad Ingredients
1 box long grain and wild rice mix, cooked with seasonings
juice of 1 lemon
2 or 3 ( I used 2) chicken breast halves, cooked and diced (I microwaved it in its own juice); skip if vegetarian
4 green onions chopped
1 red bell pepper diced
3 oz Chinese peapods, ends removed
1 Cup pecans (toasted or candied)
1 or 2 avocados

1. Mix all salad ingredients except avocado (I let the rice and chicken cool first – I don’t know if you need to)

2. Combine with dressing and refrigerate 2 – 24 hours

3. Before serving add avocados, 1 cup of chopped and toasted pecans or candies pecans (I think I like the toasted better-I used candies this time)

Garnish with lettuce leaves if desired.

0 comments: