Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Faux BoBeau Brussels Sprouts


Before

Roasted

Served

There is a restaurant in town called BoBeau. It's my high school friend's family restaurant. One of the favorite dishes: Brussels sprouts. Di-vine. Let me preface this by saying I have NEVER liked them. My mom didn't make them growing up. I tried them a few times in adulthood, hoping the nutritional value would offset my taste buds, but no. It has remained one of the few foods I wouldn't eat...until now. I carefully examined the ingredients and while I can't exactly mimic the fine chef's detail, I was able to make something close enough that my family flipped over.

Ingredients

Brussels sprouts (organic always tastes better), cut in 1/2
Red Onion, 1/2 & sliced and diced
Hard Salami, small cubes - roughly 1C
EVOO (I prefer Spanish, it has more flavor), about 2-3 Tablespoons
Few sprinkles of Lawry's Garlic Salt & Seasoning Salt & Pepper
Balsamic Vinegar (2-3T)
Shaved Parmesan cheese

Directions
- this is the quick & easy version. See below for mods.
1. Preheat oven @ 400
2. Place sprouts & salami in a bowl, drizzle EVOO, salt & pepper over it. Toss.
3. Place on lined baking sheet with inside of sprouts facing down. Make sure cubed salami is even spaced throughout the pan. Make sure sprouts aren't too crowded.
4. Roast for about 30minutes (check may need longer by 10-15 minutes depending on oven)
5. Once they begin getting brown/black edges then take them out and flip them individually (so inside is facing up). Roast for another 5-10 minutes (be careful not to burn them).
6. Serve on a flat serving dish or bowl. Drizzle with balsamic. Generously sprinkle fresh shaved Parmesan over the the top..even the crumbles are good.

Enjoy! The crispy salami is so yummy too!

Modifications:
1. Flash fry the sprouts in a sauce pan w/ 1T of EVOO for about 2-3 minutes; constantly tossing before placing into the mixing bowl (step 2).

2. Use pancetta instead of hard salami.

3. Create a balsamic reduction to drizzle over sprouts at the end.

0 comments: