Monday, March 19, 2012

Quinoa or Cous Cous Salad

This is my new favorite salad and I have a feeling I'll be eating it all Spring & Summer. Inspired by my chef friend, Lize. You're in for a vegetarian treat.

I made a big batch of the cous cous mix (see below) and used 1/4 of the bag as a hot side with the below mentioned Rib recipe. I then reserved the other 3/4 & chilled it for this salad.

You can store this salad for 2-3 days and it's still SO good!

Ingredients

1 package of Cous Cous (I used the Quinoa, Israeli Cous Cous, Small Garbanzo, etc. mix from TJ - sooo good), prepare as the bag/box indicates. Remember Quinoa has as much protein as meat, so it's heartier than Cous Cous, although my kids prefer the later.

1/2 pepper, diced. I used a yellow one, but you could use any color.

20 pit-less Kalamata olives, sliced in 1/2

1 small cucumber, diced (you can use the miniature variety or a Persian one).

1/2 Lemon, juice only - make sure you don't get any seeds when you squeeze

3-4T of EVOO (best quality, Spanish preferred for flavor)

Cilantro, 6 stems - leaves chopped

Lawry's Seasoning Salt, 3 shakes
Lawry's Garlic Salt, 3 shakes
Paprika, 2 shakes
Dill, 2 shakes

**Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate = the yummiest, lightest salad ever.

Today I packed this as my "sack lunch" on a field trip. Easy to pack and eat on the go.

0 comments: