Monday, June 16, 2008

Chicken & Cashews in Lettuce Cups

3 T soy sauce
3 T honey[I doubled the sauce b/c I'm a saucy person :-)]
2 T oil (for frying)1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken - dice it. [I used two of those frozen Costco breasts (that sounds weird :-), then butterflied them and diced.]
1 T of grated ginger [didn't use this, not a fan of ginger]
1 bunch of scallions, trimmed and sliced [used 2 stalks - only green part]
1 8oz can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
1/4 C roasted, unsalted, cashews [I used the "cashew pieces" from TJs, cheaper and already diced; I also used at least a 1/2 C maybe a whole Cup of Cashews, but then again, I'm a "nutty"][I also added a 1/2 of a zucchini chopped finely - to sneak in the vegetables w/ my kids - great flavor!]
1 small head of Boston/Bibb/Butter Lettuce leaves (separate & wash while chicken is cooking; dry off)

COMBINE the soy and honey in a small bowl
HEAT the oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
SEASON chicken w/ 1/2 t pepper (I used red pepper for xtra kick, up to you - for kids maybe X pepper) and cook stirring occasionally, until it begins to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
LOWER heat to medium and stir in garlic [and ginger]. [I then pushed the cooked chicken to the side of the pan (to slow overcooking) and added in the zucchini to cook].
Add the scallions, stir and cook for 1 minute.
Stir in the water chestnuts and 1/2 the soy mixture [again, add as much sauce as you like] and continue to cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
Remove from heat and sprinkle w/ the cashews [I added them in w/ the mixture in the pan to heat it all through for about a minute or two before removing.]
SERVE and use remaining sauce for drizzling.

0 comments: